Recycling in the Town of Hunter
CLICK ON “SPECIAL NOTICES” FOR DUMP HOURS AND OTHER INFORMATION
PLEASE PRINT THIS HANDY RECYCLE REFERENCE GUIDE
ACCEPTABLE RECYCLE ITEMS
- #1, #2 & #5 plastic food or beverage containers
- Aluminum, steel and tin food or beverage containers
- Clear, green and brown glass food and beverage bottles
- Mixed papers: Cereal boxes, flyers, copy paper, corrugated cardboard, magazines, catalogs, paper grocery bags, junk mail (Paper Spam)
- News print
- Plastic bags are not recyclable
- Any container from oil, antifreeze, windshield fluid or other car liquids
- Plastic trays or post form flowers and plants
- Pizza boxes
- Salt bags, top soil bags, packaging plastic
- LED light bulbs, window glass, mirrors, drinking glasses
- Aerosol spray cans
- Rubber products
- Containers used to store chemicals and paints
- Plastic Toys
- Used Paper Towels
- All items should be placed in our recycling bin
- All containers need to be rinsed
- Labels do not have to be removed
- Cardboard needs to fit inside container so it does not jam
Recycle Center/Town Hall Location:
RECYCLING AND TRANSFER STATIONS
Hayward Transfer Station
Located about a half mile from Nelson Lumber on Nursery Road
Open Monday, Thursday & Friday 8-4 715-634-3022
1st & 3rd Saturday summer months 8 to noon
Closed Tuesday & Wednesday
$5 per bag
$32 for white goods
8.5₵ per pound – $20 minimum for:
Demolition and mixed metal
Best Choice Recycling
Located 3.5 miles on 63 South 715-634-7888
Open Monday – Friday 8-4 and Saturday 8-noon
They pay by the pound for mixed metals and some white goods.
They will take anything with Freon but won’t pay you.
They do not take anything with a screen.
They take most everything except furniture, wood, plastic and glass.
They do not charge for refrigerators and air conditioners.
LCO Solid Waste and Recycling Transfer Station
Located on School House Road west of County Road B 715-699-2789
Open Thursday – Saturday 9-5
They take everything except hazardous waste.
They charge a small fee for everything except plastic, glass, aluminum and paper.
Hayward Recycling – Roy’s Enterprises
Located at Roy’s Enterprises 2 miles on 63 South 715-634-6162
Open Monday – Friday 8 – 4:30 and Saturday 9 – noon
They buy Ferrous & Non Ferrous metals
They pay for white goods but charge $10 for anything with Freon
They charge for electronic waste, TV’s and monitors
Thompson Sand & Gravel
16684 W US Hwy 63 Open Mon – Fri 7 – 4 and Sat 7 – noon 715-634-3139
They charge $7.50 per yard for leaves, grass & brush
They charge $30 per yard for construction material
Recycle Update – 7/26/2021
Plastic bags/wraps do not get recycled in curbside bins or at our Town Refuse Center. They should be returned to participating drop-off locations that provide collection containers. In Hayward you can go to Market Place Foods or Walmart where they have containers in their vestibules.
If you are unable to venture out due to Covid, please collect your plastic shopping bags, plastic wraps and other light weight plastic packaging until you can dispose of them properly.
As always, please follow the direction of your local and state public health officials. If you do shop, please take appropriate steps to help protect store employees so they can continue to provide essential products during this crisis.
Recycling contributes sustainability and provides valuable materials for American manufacturers, so we encourage you to continue recycling when and where possible.
Please keep in mind the following:
- Glass and plastic should be clean, dry and caps removed
- Recycle #1, #2 and #5 ONLY. All other plastics are garbage
- Straws, plastic and lids are not recyclable – include with your other garbage
- If possible, keep your aluminum cans separate and give to attendant
- Paper and cardboard should be bundled
Thank you everyone for doing a good job of keeping your recycling separate at our refuse center.
Town of Hunter Board